The Gauteng Provincial Association for Persons with Disabilities (GPAPD) is a registered non-profit organisation rendering a wide range of services aimed at empowering persons with disabilities.
One of our key focus areas includes assisting persons with physical disabilities to secure parking discs for the use of designated parking bays in the Ekurhuleni area.
Only a Disabled Parking Disc issued by the Ekurhuleni Traffic Department is legal – Stickers that are purchased from other sources are not valid and users can be fined.
The correct process for application for a Disabled Parking Disc is as follows:-
The procedure is simple and is outlined hereunder:-
- The Application Form must be completed in full by the applicant, as well as his or her medical practitioner.
- The Application should be accompanied by a Medical Certificate from a registered Health Professional, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist or Medical Doctor.
- The applicant must then send the completed documents back to the GPAPD via fax or email, together with a certified copy of the applicant’s ID document.
- Once the application forms are completed, an application is lodged with GPAPD. The Applicant will then be required to appear before the GPAPD Screening Panel, which is informal and seeks to ensure that the applicant is genuine, and that all the requirements are adhered to. Once approved by the Panel, the disc is obtained by GPAPD on behalf of the application and arrangements for delivery / collection are made (normally about 3 days thereafter). The applicant does not need to go to the Traffic Department or wait in long queues –GPAPD does it for you!!
- The Screening Panel is held once a month at The Mandeville Sports Club in Kensington.
- A minimal negotiable cost to cover the travel and issue of the parking disc applies.
- Should an applicant be unable to travel to the Screening Panel appointment for a valid reason, a home visit can be arranged at an added cost to cover the travelling cost.
- The disc is registered in the applicant’s name and identity number and can be used in any vehicle that the applicant is transported in or drives themselves.
- The period for which the disc is issued depends on the nature and intensity of the disability and is determined based on the medical report and the recommendation of the screening panel.
Applications for Vehicle Adaption Rebates and Beach Permits are also assessed by the very capable Screening Panel.